Knapp's Relational Model: Termination


 

    I will admit that it was very difficult to think of a situation that I was comfortable discussing publicly at any stage. I suppose that I could say the most recent would likely be in regard to my marriage. Without going into the details of how things got to the the point they did, I decided to focus on the termination stage of Knapp's Relationship Model. 

    After several years of issues in the relationship, including emotional abuse, I decided that I needed to leave the marriage as quickly as my two feet could carry me. I would say that reaching that point of the termination stage where you completely go on with separate lives is indefinitely on hold, but I do the best as I can to live my life on my own terms. It changes a little when you have a child. 

    I suppose it is easy to say that everything is over and completely separate as much as possible aside from communicating about our son, and him taking our son every other weekend. I could say the moment that we officially reached the termination stage was when I told him that I would be moving in with my mother, which was temporary until I found my own place. The coming apart stages of the relationship went so badly that I did just about everything I could to get away. I don't regret it, and I'm very proud of myself for doing so. 

    So now that we have gotten very much on a personal level, I do feel like online communication was a huge factor in the journey to the termination stage. When it comes to online communication, it can be very useful, however it can open you to a lot of negative things if you are not careful about who has access to your accounts, and what kind of information you provide to people online. Online communication also opens up many doors for people to provide others private information about you. Make sure that you keep your private life private (unlike this post, lol), and to use two-step authenticators in every account that you can. 

Knapp's Relationship Model

Online Safety Tips

Overcoming Emotional Abuse

Comments